Part of the magic of the family-doula relationship is that the doula doesn’t just show up for the birth. Meeting ahead of time allows us to get to know each other, discuss your emotions and thoughts going into the birth, plan for how I can best support you and your partner during your labour, and get you access to information and resources that you need before labour begins.
From the time you decide to have me support you at your birth, you have access to me through phone, email, and texting for any questions, requests, or thoughts you may need to process. Once your estimated due date draws closer I am on call for you 24-7 and will be ready to drop everything and be with you when you decide you need my support.
Once I’m with you for your labour, I will stay with you continuously until after your baby is born. I will be there with you to help you in any way you can. There are so many ways that a doula can help:
- comfort measures to help you manage your labour effectively
- position changes to help your body do what it needs to do
- emotional support to help you feel calm and confident throughout your labour
- offering encouragement to help you keep going
- helping you refocus when things get tough
- making sure you AND your partner are drinking and eating what you need
- helping your partner be involved in the labour in a way that’s meaningful for both of you
- supporting you and helping you to ask the questions you need answers to when labour doesn’t go as you expected
- monitoring your physical environment to make it as comfortable and relaxing for you as possible
The beauty of this is that I am there for you and your partner. I am not there to monitor anything medical (there are nurses/doctors/midwives for that) so I can focus on you and the moment and what you need at that time. I am not there to take control of your labour, I am there to empower you to be the expert in your baby’s birth. You are capable to ask questions and make decisions that are best for you and your baby, and I will remind you of that.
After baby is born I will stay with you for an hour or two to help you with breastfeeding, take some pictures, and help you get to know this new little person. After I leave I am still available for you and you can contact me at any time.
Finally, I will come and visit you at home when you feel ready. We can talk about the birth, your baby, breastfeeding, and any resources that you may need to help as you adjust to mothering this baby.
This special partnership between a mother and a doula is in place to help the mother feel more prepared for labour, more empowered in birth, more satisfied with her birth story, and more emotionally ready to parent her child. I am so happy to be part of something so amazing!